Monday 8 October 2012

Chainsaw Course



Chainsaw Course




A couple of people have expressed their concerns when I informed them that BAS is going to train me in how to use a chainsaw. I guess I can be glad that mental health was not assessed beforehand in too much detail? We left Thursday lunchtime to drive back to Derby for the one-day course. On Friday morning we found our way to a farm on the countryside and were welcomed by the farmer. After having a cup of tea/coffee/squash, we went into the shed and had a look at some chainsaws. We were taught how to take them partially apart and afterwards back together. Before lunch we went out and started using the chainsaw. As usually the class is less likely to consist of females, I ended up wearing boots which were about double the size of my feet. But luckily I managed not to fall over with the chainsaw in my hand! Unfortunately, I failed in the first instance: I was not able to start the chainsaw. However, I was allowed to use a joker and could ask someone for help ;)
Lunch consisted of some really nice homemade food! Afterwards we went out again and were allowed to play around with a bigger blade. We were also able to practice sawing from the top down, introducing the blade vertically into the wood (like we would do on the ice). In the end, we all learned how to fell trees properly (make them fall into the direction we want them to); all around a really good day with lots and lots of hands on practice and surprisingly no powerpoint. Luckily, our instructor did not tell us what a group of BAS people were told a couple of years ago with a different instructor: do not use the chainsaw below knee level (doh? Cutting ice?!) and do not stand on slippery surfaces (ai! Try that when cutting ice ...)!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment